Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Battling The Bees For Sugar Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9e46_9NGOY   <~~~~~~VIDEOS OF A HUMMINGBIRD ~~~~~~~~~~> BEES   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AEtYhmCSfk
The hummingbirds have been feeding like crazy since I had to buy new little hummingbird feeders.  The squirrels had chewed the little nipples off almost all of my feeders.  Now after nearly two weeks the bees and yellow jackets have found the feeders too.  I went out to see what I could do to help ward off these greedy little buggers.  I am happy to report that I did NOT get stung.  They all seemed happy to see me coming!  They were feverishly crowding to each one of the feeders as though they had discovered the best thing ever..... SUGAR!  I think that after watching a CNN segment last year on the effects of sugar and the human brain I have to ask...."I wonder what this is doing to the brains of hummingbirds, bees and yellow jackets???"  They seem ADDICTED!  The segment talked about how in some people's brains sugar can elicit cravings and trigger responses that are very similar to those caused by cocaine and other addictive drugs.  I wonder if by offering sugar water, I am causing an epidemic of dependent creatures of nature looking to me for a FIX!?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment