Monday, July 22, 2013

American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)

My neighbors probably thought that I was a crazy "creepy peeper" if they saw me photographing the Goldfinch in their front yard.  A favorite to many and a beautiful songbird these, Goldfinch have been feeding on the flowers that must be going to seed across the street from our home.  I have tried to lure the Goldfinch into our yard this summer with thistle feeders but the seed goes bad before they visit.  I have purchased new feeders this week in high hopes of gaining their attention.  I suppose that I will have to research and plant some of these plants for them too!  It looks like some sort of salvia and there is sage in the background.  They feed almost solely on seed and they are fond of dandelions, zinnias, marigolds, cosmos and coneflowers in addition to the thistle that I mentioned and whatever my neighbors have planted, is a huge favorite!  Fresh seeds are more desirable and I understand that! 
 I adore the Goldfinches lemony yellow color and enchanting song. As fall approaches the Goldfinch takes on a more dull muted down color as they begin to molt.  The males are the prettier and brighter of the pair and they change quite drastically during this period.  
 I missed the shot of twelve to fifteen that departed as we strolled by on our morning walk.  It was fun to see so many pretty bright yellow birds in a mass take off at once.  I enjoyed the moment!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment