Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wild Wonderful West Virginia!

I was eager to hit the trails after a long day of driving to West Virginia. It was not such a difficult drive, it is always just so hard for me to leave family, friends, the forest, lakes and streams of our home in Sewanee and turn it over to the house sitter. This time the animals came along so I have no worries about leaving them. And I have my trail buddy, Miss Carly, in tow. And of course I was heading to be with my husband! It's nice to be torn between wonderful places!
Our outdoor adventures began a bit later than I had hoped, due to a rainy morning. But I have my new water shoes for the muddy spots and the skies had begun to clear off nicely, so we ventured out. My excitement immediately exploded with wildflower sightings and then a plethora of black and yellow swallowtail butterflies appeared in an area covered in one of my father’s favorite wild flowers, Milkweed ( Silkweed - Asclepias syriaca) and Joe-Pye weed (Eupatorium maculatum). Both Milkweed and Joe-Pye weed are tall growing, with a cluster of mauve pink blossoms and they are rugged perennials that the butterflies seem to savor. Like most woodland plants, these wildflowers prefers moist soil to dry and today they were nicely moist at their roots as I stood in the mush to take photos. And I loved every minute of it! Another interesting find for me was a very medium size blossom in soft pink to almost fuchsia. I investigated the plant and noticed fruit growing on it! I was so excited and amazed to see wild raspberries! I am an avid blackberry and dew berry picker but I have never come across wild raspberries. At least that is what I believe these are! I took a chance with what I know about berries and tasted one of these on my second outing for the day. With only a slight bit of trepidation I picked one for a taste. I gently put it to my lip squeezed it a bit then went in for a tiny taste. It was somewhat sweet but still fairly sour. I did a bit of research when I got back to the computer and I believe they were wild raspberries. I haven’t died yet from a poison berry! But I have spent a lifetime in the woods and outdoors. I would never suggest to someone who is not aware of vegetation or berry types to ever try a berry in the wild. And never try berries that the birds don’t eat. That is a sure sign that the berries are not edible! As I always try to do we squeezed in two one hour (or longer) hikes today! The evening was sunny and cooler. I was amazed as the evening went on that our temperature in Beckley dropped considerably. By dinner time it was 66 and on its way down to a possible 55! Wow! I had to pinch myself! Is it summer in West Virginia?




 
Pipevine Swallowtail

Three Pipevine Swallowtails!






 
 
 

 
I believe that these are wild raspberries blossoms!


http://uswildflowers.com/detail.php?SName=Rubus%20odoratus

 
Wild Raspberries?
 
 



2 comments:

  1. I liked the little green one too! I could not find the name of it in my little butterfly and moth ID booklet. and I could not get a clear shot of it. Carly was off her leash and bolted down the trail. They have serious leash laws here with signs to remind me so I had to go find her. UGH!!!
    Did I tag you on FB, Robley on the CrAzY looking Hemlock Looper moth awhile back? I don't even remember if I posted it come to think of it!

    ReplyDelete