Sunday, July 20, 2014

River Running, Nature And Birdwatching

 
Today the New River seemed to have a bit more "nature excitement" on it than in the last few river runs that we have made. Early on in our rafting I spotted a Red-breasted Merganser and two young ones. I was intrigued to grab a few pictures though it was difficult while moving even in the calmer section of our rafting trip.   And also the female, "momma bird" was a bit anxious with my need to get a closer look and photos.  She moved about changing directions as though she wish that I would go away but the young ones seem oblivious to my approach!  I do not believe that I have seen the Red-breasted Merganser before. It was interesting to note the wild eyed expression and crazy Mohawk appearance of the top feathers on the female adults head. She looked like a high strung, nervous and confused momma as I approached closer but calmly. It may have simply been her "natural look". I tried to be courteous in my curiosity and tried not to move too quickly in order to keep her from too much more stress or panic. We also spotted a Blue Heron that we have seen on a few river trips and a multitude of dragonflies and damselflies. It was a beautiful day to be outdoors and on the river.
Red-breasted Merganser female


I'm pretty sure that she was thinking, why are you following us and what are you looking at.

Cruising down the river.
 
One of the young Red-breasted Merganser with it's head submerged while the other one cruises on down the river
 
Female Red-breasted Merganser keeping an eye on me.
 
One of the young Red-breasted Merganser with it's head submerged while the other one just popped up from it's under water view. 

Blue Heron
 
Blue Heron


Pipevine (Battus philenor) swallowtail along the river bank.



 
The Thurmond, WV bridge.
The New River above Thurmond, West Virginia
 

As we pulled out of Thurmond, West Virginia along the railroad track we ran down to a creek bed and snapped a few shots of this waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment