Friday, July 25, 2014

Night Vision Of A Hermit

After a yummy dinner at the Stardust café in Lewisburg, West Virginia,( the little town voted, "The coolest small town is the US") we headed over to Renick, WV to jump on the Greenbrier River Trail.  We got in a quick eight miles of biking before dark.  I offered to assist my husband in loading our bikes on the rack when we got back to the truck but he said, "why don't you run down to the river and see if you see anything to photograph"?  So, I did!  I heard a bit of noise and assumed there were some children playing in the water.  Three young boys were swimming in the river and having a blast (that reminded me of my childhood) as the last bit of light seeped through the canopy of trees that hugged the river banks.  I turn to go back up to the vehicle and I spotted this moth.  It looked like a hummingbird but I believe it is a Hermit Sphinx moth.  I was obviously excited to get a few photos before heading out.  It was interesting to see the ability of it's night vision as it fluttered about this beautiful cluster of phlox with such ease.  It seemed as pleased with it's meal as we were with ours! ;0)
I believe (but I'm not positive)...this is a Hermit Sphinx
 
 
 
Notice the hump behind the head, also is a trait of the Hermit Sphinx.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment