Sunday, June 30, 2013

I Think That This Is A Hemlock Looper


 

A late arrival home this evening, the living room filled with ambient light from the two lamps that automatic turn on at dusk, must have attracted all of the local moths.  There were several plastered to the glass and with my usual curiosity I grabbed my camera and began to try and capture some photos.  I knew better but I proceeded to crack open the window to see the number of moths that continued to flutter about and accumulate on the glass.  Once the window was even slightly opened the moths seemed to consider it an invitation to dart through the crack as though they were racing to some exciting event inside the house.  I took a few photos and scurried to collect the intruders and proceed to the door with my collection of moth visitors.  One of the intruders seemed especially odd to me and I began to examine it thinking that something weird must be wrong with this creature.  I still have no clue about why it took on such odd shapes but after scouring my butterfly and moth nature guide I believe this is a Hemlock Looper.  I had to giggle because I seriously wanted to name it something else after observing the odd acrobats and contortions that it did with its body.
  Yeah..... Truly hideous!  And yet somehow totally interesting.


















No comments:

Post a Comment